.Friday, December 6th
PAPER and the crazy kids at Andre Saraiva's Chez Andre Miami are throwing a live rock 'n' roll karaoke party at Rec Room (1690 Collins Ave. at 17th St.) hosted by fabulous frenchman Nicolas Ullmann.
- Lots of big events happening again this year at the Standard Spa, Miami (40 Island Avenue, Miami Beach):
- The Portland Institute of Contemporary Art and dis magazine are throwing a big bash at Friday night from 8 p.m.-11 p.m., with films by Jennifer West, dance by Trajal Harrell and Thibault Lac and sounds by Telfar Clemens.
- On December 6th, The Newsstand has a book release for Glenn O'Brien's Penance from 5 to 7 p.m. and a "Win Lose or Draw" book launch for Ryan McGinness from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- Custom t-shirts by artist Todd James will be available in the hotel's gift shop and will be worn by the pool staff.
- Creative Time hosts a brunch with Krug Champagne on Friday, December 6, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Jose Parla and ALLDAYEVERYDAY are throwing a Champagne Problems bash from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. with DJ DZA spinning funk, soul and Cuban music.
- End your week at the annual Basel wrap-up "Lazy Sunday BBQ" on Sunday from 3 to 8 p.m. and check out the "paper boat" by Miami designer Luis Pons.
- Two days left of our party extravaganza with Tiki Disco at the Gale Hotel. We'll be joined by TD DJs Eli Escobar, Lloydski and Andy Pry as well as Rory Phillips, Justin Miller
and mooooore. Open bar from 7 p.m.-9 p.m. from Absolut Tune and Pavan
Liqueur. You'll find asleep with a sunburn by the pool, face down in a
plate of Jamaican BBQ. Stop by and say hi!
- The Wolfsonian-FIU Museum (1001 Washington Avenue, South Beach) celebrates their current exhibition "The Birth of Rome," with a party called "Rebirth of Rome" on Friday, December 6th from 8 to 11 p.m. featuring an installation by Gideon Barnett and a performance by Albert et son Orchestre. The exhibition is up until May 18, 2014.
- The leading gallery app provider, ArtBinder, is launching a new app called The Viewer in 2014 and they're hosting a party with Christie's and Make: magazine on Friday, December 6, at Mango's Tropical Cafe (900 Ocean Drive, South Beach). Co-hosts include Jemima Kirke, Peter McGough and Annabelle Dexter-Jones. Plus they've enlisted a very unique group of DJs including Hannah Bronfman, Todd Eberle & Justin Lowe and Jonah Freeman.
Tommy Saleh, Travis Bass and the Misshapes are hosting an I Art NY bash tonight at the Castle Beach Club, featuring from all your favorite NYC cuties.
- The official Art Basel Miami Beach film program will include the American premiere of Nan Goldin: I Remember Your Face, directed by Sabine Lidi at the Colony Theatre (1040 Lincoln Road, Miami Beach) on Friday, December 6th, at 8:30pm. Admission is free, but seating is limited. This year's film and video program was curated by David Gryn and This Brunner and it includes films by Dara Birnbaum, Martin Creed, Rineke Dijkstra, Joan Jonas and Kehinde Wiley.
- We mentioned last week that the Scope fair is moving back to South Beach into a new pavilion on the beach at 1000 Ocean Drive near 10th Street. This week they've announced that Tegan & Sara will headline their big "RSVP only" party with VH1 on December 6, 8 to midnight. Plus DJ Cassidy will be spinning.
- The annual Jack Shainman Gallery (cocktail party is on Friday, December 6, at the South Seas Hotel (1751 Collins Avenue, South Beach). Invite only.
- Kenny Scharf designed a new "garden" called Tony's Oasis (2219 NW Second Avenue, Miami) that will be dedicated on December 6 and Martha Cooper is the "curatorial advisor" for a new gallery exhibition inside the Wynwood Walls complex.
- Boy George is performing at MANA Wynwood ( 218 NW 23rd Street, Miami) on December 6th as part of their massive performance artist series. MANA has also also added several other artists to the roster, including Vanessa Beecroft, Rob Montgomery and a "live mural painting" by Ron English. All the details, times and tickets (when available) are HERE.
- TrendSeeder and NoBe67 Pret-aPorter launch their two-day, womenswear designer fair on December 6th at the Deauville Beach Resort (6701 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach). The new fair will feature emerging designers including Pitusa UK, Laquan Smith, Jeux De Vie Designs, Monica Ocejo and Casa Del Rio. DJ Jilly Hendrix spins at the opening.
- Mansion Nightclub (1235 Washinton Avenue, South Beach) has two big Basel nights with Mark Ronson DJing on Friday, December 6th, and Boy George spinning on Saturday. Tickets are HERE.
- Miami artist Alexander Mijares opens a show of new works called "Random Acts of Art" on Friday, December 6, 7 to 11 p.m. at 10 NE 27th Street, Miami. One of the works on view will be a mural that will eventually wind-up in the Brioni boutique in Bal Harbour. The opening is hosted by DETAILS Magazine.
- Visionaire and Gap host a private "Tees & Tea" brunch on Friday to celebrate the launch of a t-shirt collab that will eventually include 45 designs. They are only making a limited edition of 300 of each shirt, and the first five are by Yoko Ono, Inez & Vinoodh, Maurizio Cattelan & Pierpaolo Ferrari, Craig McDean and Salvo Sundsbo. Pick one up at The Webster (1220 Collins Avenue, South Beach).
- The Look Alive Fest on December 6 & 7 features tons of underground music -- including Wolf Eyes and Indian Jewelry -- plus art, at various locations. All the details are HERE.
- Chloe Norgaard and Nur Khan host a cocktail party for Poplipps and Vs. magazine on Friday night at the Townhouse Hotel. RSVP only.
Saturday, December 7th
- Serious artsy-party goers alway look forward to the annual Basel Castle, and this year's version on December 7 looks like a good one. They'll be moving over to Grand Central Park (721 NW 1st Avenue, Miami) downtown and, so far, they've announced a great list of musical guests including SBTRKT, Chance the Rapper, Travis $cott, Been Trill, Heroes + Villains and Mystery Skulls, with more to be announced later. The visual artists already on-board include Greg Mike, Nychos, Meggs, Nosego, Skinner, MADSTEEZ and art installations from Jeremyville, Chris Parks and Wolfdog. This party starts late and is always off-the-hook. Don't miss it. Tickets and a video are HERE.
- Cool sunset vibes guaranteed with a party for Guy Gerber's Supplement Facts label at the Delano on Saturday. DJ's on the night include Gerber, Ryan Crosson, Mathew Dear, Bill Patrick and Mao Fonnegra.
Sunday, December 8th
Ms.Fitz and Angelina Dreem throw their big Bushwick Gone Basel party tonight, feautring performances by Jaimie Warren and Gage of the Boon and more, art by artists including Travis Edgedy, Genevieve Belleveau and Greem Jellyfish and DJ sets by SSION, Witches of Bushwick, Bossa Nova Civic Club, Juliana Huxtable and Lauren Devine. 2805 Collins Ave. Art show at 8 p.m.; party at 10.
- End your week at the Standard Hotel's annual Basel wrap-up "Lazy Sunday BBQ" on Sunday from 3 to 8 p.m. and check out the "paper boat" by Miami designer Luis Pons.
- Bushwick is in the house, yo! Over 25 artists representing the Bushwick underground -- including musicians, visual artists, performers and personalities -- are chartering a magic bus and heading to Miami. They'll be "crashing parties" all week and then you can crash theirs: December 8th at Cucu's Nest (2805 Collins, South Beach) with an exhibition at 7 p.m. and music starting around 10 p.m.
- A-Trak, Dave 1 and Nick Catchdubs will be performing in the afternoon on the 8th as part of the massive performance art series hosted by MANA Wynwood ( 218 NW 23rd Street, Miami) . MANA has also also added several other artists, including Vanessa Beecroft, Rob Montgomery and a "live mural painting" by Ron English. All the details, times and tickets (when available) are HERE.
Monday, December 9th
- If you're sticking around Miami until December 9th, there's an "Art Chat" with two Miami notables, Robert Chambers and Robert Wennett, at 6:30 p.m. in the St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort (9703 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach). Chambers is probably best know for his large public sculptures, but he's also a fountain of knowledge on numerous topics including meteorites. Wennett is a local developer who transformed Lincoln Road by hiring the Swiss starchitects Herzog & de Meuron to design his parking garage and he's also involved in the plans for the new Miami Beach Convention Center.
- A big international traveling exhibition from Spain called "TAPAS: Design For Food" will be on view all week in the Moore Building (4040 NE 2nd Avenue, Miami) in Miami's Design District. There will be over 200 exhibits and installations by Spanish chefs, designers, architects, wineries and restaurants in three themed areas: the kitchen, the table and the meal. If you happen to be down in Miami on November 9th, stop by the Moore Building for "Eat You -- Eat Me," a special installation of interactive "edible performance art" by Spanish artist Miralda.